At a Glance
|Faculty||: Faculty of Law|
|Department||: Dept. of Law|
|Program||: Bachelor of Laws (Hons)|
|Duration||: 4 Years (12 Semesters)|
|Total Credit||: 136|
|Academic System||: Open Credit Hour System|
|Course Outline||: Download|
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
Martin Luther King,, Activist & Leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement.
Taking into account, variables such as Economic recessions & growth, the World Wide Web, new uncharted territories into the world of business & many other similar variants has completely changed the face of Law & Order that we see today. Most of these trends help law firms and organizations become more efficient, productive and competitive in a global market. Other trends result from changing demographics, attitudes and work style. Northern University Bangladesh intends to confer law degrees at both graduate & under-graduate levels, embracing these changes, molding future legal professionals with all the necessary tools needed to survive & excel in their professions.
The Department of Law offers a 4-year bachelor degree on 'Bachelor of Laws (Hons)'. To become a graduate in this field one has to complete 136 credits.
Students come to study law with differing aspirations and goals. If you are contemplating pursue a career in law, weighing the merits of becoming a lawyer against another career, path can be daunting. The Department of Law offers a program that prepares students for the future :we are specialized in "Preparing the Leaders of Tomorrow." When one come to our Faculty you will be immediately immersed in the creation of the future, be it the practice of law, government, business, or social services.
The NUB Law department offers a curriculum that is rigorous, varied, and practical. Our program provides the foundation for understanding the law, legal ethics and practice. Through critical examination of ideas about law you will gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between law and society and an appreciation of the law as a scholarly discipline. Studying law with us will provide you with the opportunities to develop analytical, logical and reasoning skills that will assist you in the practice of law, or prove to be invaluable if you choose to follow other associated endeavors.
- More than 90% of our Law graduates have become enrolled in Bangladesh Bar Council of whom more than one thousand (1000) are now in legal profession. Five of our full time faculties are now Supreme Court advocates; And at least 50 of our graduates have obtained Supreme Court practice permission at the most recent Supreme Court enrolment examination 2016.
- NUB Law has the first position in Bangladesh Judicial Service among all private universities of Bangladesh and not just once, but in three consecutive years (2011, 2012 & 2013) and also in 2015. Our thirty two (32) graduates and sixteen (16) former faculty members are now in Bangladesh Judicial Service.
- In 7th Henry Dunant National Moot Court Competition, NUB Law has become champion at national level defeating all universities of Bangladesh and NUB Law students have been honoured as the best mooters for three times.
- In 7th Henry Dunant International Moot Court Competition, NUB law department has stood 3rd in position and honoured with the best researcher award.
- In 9th Henry Dunant National Moot Court Competition, NUB law department has stood 3rd in position.
- In 10th Henry Dunant National Moot Court Competition, NUB law department was the quarter-finalist and was honoured with the best Memorial award.
- In 12th Henry Dunant National Moot Court Competition, NUB law department was honoured with the best Memorial award.
- Twenty two (22) graduates of NUB Law are teaching in different universities of Bangladesh.
- We have high profile and only meritorious people as teachers at the Faculty of Law. Eighteen (18) former teachers of our law department are now teaching in Dhaka, Rajshahi, Chittagong, Jagannath and Jahangirnagar University. There are eleven (11) PhD faculties in this department.
- Two (2) of our former teachers have stood 1st in position in Bangladesh Judicial Service Commission Examination.
- Three (3) of our existing teachers are now in UK for their higher studies.
- In 2014 Bar Council Exam, 186 among 212 (88%) Law graduates of NUB have successfully enrolled as advocates.
- In 2015 Bar Council Exam, 60% Law graduates of NUB have successfully enrolled as advocates.
- In the recent Judicial Service examination held in 2016, at least 05 of our Law graduates have qualified and been selected.
- More than 80 of our Law graduates have been enrolled at the Bar Council qualifying the last Bar Council Examination.
- The Faculty of Law is the first ever Faculty in the country to arrange Graduation Dinner to celebrate graduation of students every semester. In this ceremony, Ministers, Judges of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh including the Chief Justice of Bangladesh, Chairmen and Members of statutory bodies relating to law and human rights remain present as speakers to congratulate and inspire the graduates.
- The Faculty of Law arranges Inter-semester Moot Court Competition, Court visits, Debate Competitions and Study Tours on a regular basis.
- The Faculty revises its syllabus each semester to keep it updated with the changes in our legal system.
- NUB Law stood Champion at the 2nd Refugee Law moot court competition organized by Elcop Bangladesh.
- NUB has sponsored the National Round competition of the 58th Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, 2017 and is also the co-organizer with Asian Sil Bangladesh. The competition venue is City campus, NUB.